Hi everyone --
I wonder if you were ready for some more blogging. Probably not. Then ignore this. 😀
I wasn't sure there'd be anything blog-worthy right off on this trip, but here we are.
Let's start with yesterday, as we drove north from Bloomsburg and stopped for a quick sandwich before our 2:30 appointment at Ravines Tasting Room outside Geneva.
It was supposed to be an ice cream stop (we ARE on something like vacation), but K wanted "protein" (you don't think ice cream has protein?!?!?), so we ended up splitting a sandwich.
In a tale as old as time (or us olds think fairly new, bc "back in the day" you got better service), even though they were told NOT to put mayonaise on our chicken and ham wrap, it had mayo on it (I got extra to put on my half). K gagged after the first bite and had to send it back; they made another.
We decided part of it was a language problem: the young person at the check-in spot spoke fluent Amish, and softly, so we neither knew half of what she was saying. I must have said "excuse me" three times just to make the sandwich order. I realized it was partially the accent -- She told the guy behind me that she'd be back "shirtly" -- which isn't quite as good as the "don't call me shirley" joke, but it has potential. 😂
To Ravines. The server had been there three years, and to K's delight, talked incessantly. She didn't exactly pull the Miles from Sideways "latent notes of broccoli" thing, but she came very, very close. And we found out she was from Brooklyn. I know where she drank on Friday. I know she prefers the Sauvignon Blanc to the Riesling, and thinks Chenin Blanc is wonderful. She's been to Paris with...
You get the picture. I wish I had filmed it.
Then to Scout Winery. Yes, that's really their name. The server at Ravines is a member of their wine club (bc I know by now you want to know this). The server there, the wife? of the wine-maker, was more sedate. I don't think she ever mentioned broccoli, though I think she mentioned pineapple notes (we're in effin upstate New York, where the F do you think you are getting pineapple notes from??!/11? the can in the kitchen?!?!!?). But I know she went to Hobart and Smith rather than Middlebury (one wonders) and her partner is the only one she knows of working in gamay. It's a grape, if you don't know.
Okay, here's the best part of the weekend, so far: we get to the B&B and I immediately realize I don't have my toiletry bag. Never got it out of the bathroom. Forgot all about it. We are 3+ hours from home and today we were going in the exact opposite direction from home (almost due north v. almost due south). Can I live without my meds for 4 days? K says she didn't want to see me try.
We went to dinner. We scheduled this place on Friday bc...well, it's a funny story. K found a place, I said ok, then...Tuesday I said "did you make a reservation?" and she said no. Friday I said "did you make a reservation?" and she said no. Why not? I wasn't sure you approved. "What do you think 'did you make a reservation' means?" Well...I said "what do I have to do to make you think I approve?" "Make the reservation." ROFL. 😂😂
They had no reservations left. So I found a place about 20 minutes from the hotel that was supposedly 4. 7 stars on Open Table with a lake view. We get there and I look around from the parking lot. Where's the lake? No lake.
We get inside and it's like a sports bar. There are like 5 TV screens going -- a couple supersized -- in the dining room in which we were seated.
Did I mention that this is our anniversary dinner? The official answer to "how many" is either "nonya" or "a lot" (maybe all one word).
So.
But the food was pretty good and the wait person was very good -- attentive and the right amount of patter.
Here's the food porn:
Prime rib.



No comments:
Post a Comment