Tuesday, September 29, 2026

London, Day 4: Chasing/Waiting on RR and some other stuff rather than food porn, maybe :)

 Hi Thinning Readers,

Today, somewhat to our chagrin,  was our last day in London. ):  We all were bummed about that. 

Also a bit of a bummer is that last night's blog has yielded quite a few readers short of recent numbers. ): Wonder why.  

Anyway, it's always good when someone tells you what to put in your blog. :)

I was told I had to put this picture --

If you can't tell, it is a house made of biscuits (English for a cookie),  which was displayed at Fortnum & Masons.   Which is where we visited after high tea.  

Here's one of the confectionary cases there:


Yes, those are ghosts!!!

Okay, about our day.  It started with breakfast at the place we ate Sunday, so I won't bother repeat the pictures.  

Then we walked down to Bond Street station, about 10 minutes, going to the British Museum.

We had tickets and got right in.  And at this point we sent RR with a map off on his own, as we had been there both in '22 and '24.  We took our time, went to see the Sutton Hoo collection again, and K decided she wanted to see the Thorn Reliquary, which it took awhile to find.

One of the amazing things about this trip to the museum was the Bayeaux Tapestry stuff.  The tapestry (I'll skip the lecture about it) is on display at the museum for the first time ever.  It was made in ~1080 and they think this is the first time it's been back since around 1200.  A big deal.  I really, really wanted to see it, having studied it since I was an undergrad.  But there were no tickets till January (another long story).

So, being there, here is all this stuff.  I don't know how to explain what "all" is: jigsaw puzzles, shopping bags, shirts, decks of cards, kids shields and helmets and swords, all kinds of sewing kits.  And about anything else you could imagine.  There was an eraser like a stone with a soldier from the tapestry on it. 

We dilly dallied while RR sped through every room -- he said.  :) 

Here's the amazing purse cover from Sutton Hoo -- I love the cloisanne:

Around 2 o'clock, we headed for St. Paul's.  K was melting (it was, she reported, 14 degrees above normal today).   RR paid to go in and disappeared.  He seemed to be gone for a long time and when he reappeared, he acted pooped.  Turned out that he went all the way to the top!!!  He said it said something like 700 steps but he had to go (I'm told his kids will find this "so dad", but it was a bit crazy).  

We were running late for high tea, so made our way back to the flat and got ready.  We got to tea in time. 

I had made reservations at the Wolseley, which is across the street from the Ritz.  We've been there several times.  

Here's the pic of the carousel:
And then we made our way back for an early night of blogging and packing. 

We fly to Rennes, France, tomorrow at 1235.  We have a bunch of days coming that are one and out, so I'll have to catch you up on here.

We're all sad to be leaving here, but looking forward to the next legs of the adventure.  At least tomorrow i get to drive on the right side of the road. :)

And with that I bid you cheerio!

PS there was another episode of "bike almost hits K" ):  It missed, but it's been crazy here.  Hopefully that ends tomorrow. 



No comments:

Post a Comment